Thursday, January 31, 2013

(FREE)lance

Before I get into this I would like to note that this is a rather opinionated post but I believe in what I'm saying.

I was drawn to this video via an artist (I'm not naming names) I whole-heatedly respect. I do not know the guy in the video but I believe the artist who posted it. The video is after the clip and I believe while it is worth a watch I REALLY wanna clarify what it all means because I have come across this a lot and I don't want the message construed the wrong way.





 

Now, I will go ahead and say that I stand behind his words 100% but, again, I really wanna add to what he touched on towards the end.

 WORKING FOR FREE IS FINE and I believe it is a wonderful thing IN CERTAIN INSTANCES.

I'm a big believer in the power of creative collaboration and if you're approached by an artist you respect, a friend, or a group of artists you'd love to work with then go ahead and do some stuff for free. If you're passionate about a project or the people you get to work with than the experience is what you're getting paid with.

As with all things, this comes in moderation but it is completely fine to do some concepts for a project you'd like to see get off the ground or volunteer production crew for a film shoot. In live-action, low-budget productions I have relied upon the help of others for free many times. I have had actors, crew, animators, camera people, wardrobe/costuming, voice acting, etc work on my films because they believe in the project. Inversely, I have done tons of work for friends and colleagues alike with no money in the agreement. I find this is the absolute best way to network with other artists, achieve some brilliant IOUs for when you need help with your own stuff and generally gain favor in the art community. Karma-wise, I believe whatever you put into others' work you will gain 10-fold in experience and favors. This is also a fantastic way to build a resume and portfolio.

What the lovely man in the video is referring to are the practices of people and companies who do not value your work as an artist. A good rule of thumb is to constantly ask yourself if they people you are helping out are valuing the work you are putting into it. If the answer is no then it needs to be addressed or you just need to leave the situation. I generally make it a rule to only help out other artists directly because they understand and value, if not cherish, your help. 

Personally, I have been taken advantage of by such reputable companies as he addresses in the video. I have been screwed over by companies with favorable reputation and work twice now in internship situations. I've had one apprenticeship lead me on and cut me loose. These experiences have not soured my own resolve towards working for free at times. If anything, it has simply made me more cautious and aware of these agreements.

So, there it is. It really isn't a black-and-white subject to hit on but I believe it is an important one to address. There's probably more to say on the topic but if there are any specific questions just have at the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment