Saturday, January 12, 2013

Obligatory Oscar Post

It is time again for Oscar nominations in the usual archaic fashion. I'm pissed. It happens. I should know better. I should stop caring but I am once again let down--forever the optimist, I'm afraid.

Anyway, I'll try to make this brief. In fact, Moviebob already put it rather eloquently in his Escapist Article.

Basically my thoughts are the same, though I'm rather livid about the majority shun of "Cloud Atlas" (great flick, highly recommend) and the inclusion of a so-so rom-com (Silver Linings Playbook) in most categories.

Since little has been said on the animation side, I'll focus on that.


The category goes as such:

Brave
Frankenweenie
Pirates! Band of Misfits
Paranorman
Wreck-It Ralph

I'll start off by saying THIS HAS BEEN A HUUUUUGE YEAR FOR STOP-MOTION ANIMATION! As exciting as that is, and it is given three nominees are stop-mo (Frankenweenie, Pirates! Band of Misfits, Paranorman), Paranorman is tops.

Weirdly enough, Wreck-It Ralph and Brave basically came from the same people - Disney/Pixar and as disappointing as Brave was (it was, it very-much was, a lot of interesting ideas with unclear direction) I'd say Wreck-It Ralph has a lock. The academy would feel just fine handing the "Pixar Award" to Disney. And I'd be fine with that. I loved that movie. It could have been a bunch of references strung together but that film had a finely developed story and characters; not to mention IT HAD HEART. I'd be great with it going to Paranorman as well. There is very little reason I would be upset with the decision. Again, ever the optimist, I am.

Extra Note: I did also enjoy the animated film Rise of the Guardians but I'm surprisingly apathetic about it being left out.

No comments:

Post a Comment